Frequently Asked Questions
What does FARA DataInforms stand for?
The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is the apex organization of the Africa Union Commission and the NEPAD responsible for Agricultural Research for Development (AR4D).
The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa Data and Information Systems (FARADataInformS) is a web-based platform built on open source and using Application Programming Interface (APIs) to integrate data from existing relevant sources and new datasets. It serves as a repository of relevant Science Technology and Innovation (STI) metrics for agriculture across the African Continent. FARADataInformS is a component of the Observatory for the Science Agenda (S3A) and Africa AR4D.
It provides STI knowledge support to the CAADP country process and for the implementation of the Malabo Declaration for 2025. The platform seeks to facilitate:
- Improved access to accurate information on science and agriculture in Africa;
- Improved access to planning and implementation frameworks using science agenda guidelines by countries;
- Improved access to policy making tools as captured by Policy Practice Index for policy makers and agencies;
- Increased access by policy makers (public, civil society and private sectors) to STI knowledge through Malabo 2025 AgriSTI Barometer;
- Increased access to planning data from megatrends/foresight by stakeholders, and
- Increased and better targeted investments in AR4D and in FARA and its constituents.
During the rollout of the S3A in 2017, members from more than 40 African countries unanimously tasked FARA, AFAAS and SROs (ASARECA, CCARDESA, CORAF & NAASRO) to develop an online directory of AR4D Experts/practitioners for the continent to support the human capital formation, collaboration, peer learning and knowledge retention.
This professionally managed portal provides opportunities for African countries to source expertise from each other whenever needed.
FARA & partners have implemented this excellent initiative through the CAADO-XP4 project supported by the EC & IFAD and ready to roll out under the FARADataInformS agenda.
The portal, as an added value to the existing FARA Dgroups collaborative platform (with a host to over 35,000 members), is made up of only verified members by their respective country-level institutions (NARES) and professionally affiliated institutions. It collects detailed information from experts for consultancy opportunities as well.
The portal is NOW opened for registration by all relevant African experts/practitioners resident in Africa and other parts. It is also opened to European AR4D experts interested in Africa.