Haramaya Institute Technology (Hit)
Haramaya Institute of Technology is established as an independent institute of the university in the year 2004 at Dire Dawa under the auspices Haramaya University. Later in 2009 the institute moved to the main campus following the establishment of Dire Dawa University. The institute is currently running nine five years B.Sc, one four years B.Sc, an extension degree, M.Sc and PhD study programs.
The Government of the FDRE has established Institute of Technologies(IOT’s) and provided them with special autonomy within their mother universities. As per the directive from MOE the institute re-structured and re-named as Haramaya Institute of Technology(HiT) and became one of the 11 IOT’s in the country. the special autonomy granted to HiT ensures fast and efficient academic activities, administrative operations and financial and other resources management to achieve its strategic plan.
The goal of Haramaya Institute of Technology of Haramaya University is to evolve as an autonomous and independent (academic and research institution) graduate and research university with a competitive national and international quality and relevance standards in its academic, research and community services endeavor.
Haramaya Institute of Technology is committed to the following core values:
Academic freedom: A strong commitment to a free and democratic academic environment where individuals inquire, investigate and engage in relevant academic practices and development.
Perseverance: A commitment and dedication to perform assigned duties to the best of one’s knowledge and abilities.
Good governance: The practice of democratic, transparent, inclusive, responsible and accountable leadership and management and promotion of the principle of equal opportunity.
Respect for diversity: A culture of equity and fairness in all forms of practices; a conviction for the respect of all people without sexual, class, racial, ethnic, religious, and regional discriminations.
Professionalism: A commitment to a high standard of professional integrity and ethics.
Collaborative spirit: Culture of working cooperatively within the University and with other stakeholders; developing the “we” spirit and joint responsibility.
Fostering creativity/innovation: Develop a culture for generating new ideas, processes, services, technologies and entrepreneurial skill.
Respect for Nature and Environment: All endeavors of the university should be environmental friendly
- The Haramaya Institute of Technology is committed to achieve the vision of the University and strives to be one of the leading African Universities with international reputation by 2025
- To generate new knowledge through cutting-edge researches.
- To promote academic growth in the country by offering undergraduate and post graduate programmes.
- To identify national and global needs and strive hard to meet these needs.
- To develop the human resource that the industry needs.
- To undertake collaborative projects with industries
School of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering (including 3 Programs)
- Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering
- Water Resource and Irrigation Engineering
- Water Supply and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Food Technology and Process Engineering
- Food Science and Post harvest Technology
In its effort to continue its expansion in training, research and extension to meet the national goals, the institute is planning to open new M.Sc. programs and work hard on research in its future endeavors.